Sunday, 2 January 2011

Happy New Year!

Wow, it's 2011 - where did that come from??


Just like November, December continued to be full of colds for all the family. Christmas festivities started late with the tree and decorations not going up until mid month. It worked out well though because Phoebe, my 21 month old Daughter was able to get used to the tree gradually as it appeared, then became decorated over several days. It didn't stop her touching it mind you!


I managed to make around 20 cards altogether, which I was really chuffed with. Some I liked better than others and I was really proud of some of them. I only managed to get quicks pics on my phone so I need to get them onto my computer before I can show them here. 


I've spent most of the last month swaying on the mood swing, much to the joy/anguish of my nearest and dearest. As New Year approached I went through the usual mindset of wondering how I can do better in 2011. What changes can I make? What habits can I break? I came up with a set of four general aims for this year:-


1) Watch more films
2) Read more books
3) Start Lampworking again
4) Stop stressing about whether I'm a good parent


I'm not sure I will ever be able to achieve no.4 as it might just be the natural way of life for any parent, we'll see.


Having had these aims in my head for a few days I realised I did need a few more specific resolutions to aim for. So far I've come up with:-


1) Stop picking! If I can manage this for long enough to let the mess on my back clear up I'm going to treat myself to a back massage.


2) Drink less alcohol. My Husband decided that the plan for January is to drink everything we've got left in the cupboard from over Christmas (Bottle of Sherry, 1/2 bottle of Baileys, bottle of Red wine, beer) and then buy no more alcohol for the rest of Jan and as long after as we can stand :D


3) Stop overspending. The last couple of months I've had a bit of an attitude of "well if I don't buy it now I'll never be able to afford it in the future" which is just silly. I intend to live by the maxim "If I can't afford it now, I shall save up for it". We've worked out new budgets for food shopping and spending money and we WILL be sticking to them!


4) Make the two chain maille bracelets I intended to make before my Daughter was born. I have everything I need so there's no excuse and it's a great way to satisfy my creative urge without having to spend any more money. I started one of them yesterday and managed to get about a quarter of the way through it. I'm hoping to have it finished by next weekend, assuming Phoebe has her naps as usual.


5) Make a bead that's good enough to swap in time for the Flame-Off in April. Despite being out of the lampwork loop for a year I still wouldn't miss the Flame Off (a UK gathering of people who like to play with glass). I'm still in touch with a lot of the 'gang' on facebook and it seems I'm not alone in having taken a hiatus last year.


6) Take more baths. I miss reading in the bath ;)


7) Make a Stuffy toy in time for Phoebe's birthday. Stuffy is the brightly coloured cube in this pic...




...I've managed to find some red and black flocked damask for his left side and some shimmery gold crepe for his bottom. Just need to find some green corduroy, yellow felt and orange fur now. The back panel is a pocket from a pair of denim jeans and I have plenty of jeans that have seen better days so no problem there.


8) Make Phoebe a birthday card to be shown on CBeebies again. She loved seeing her photo on tv last year so I'm determined to do this again.



3 comments:

  1. Dont worry, I have had a hiatus on craft too (work induce sadly), but getting back into it myself, so I am sure you will easily get back into your lampwork. I am looking forward to reading about your activities on your blog and facebook

    Big hugs, you're an awesome chick :)

    Alyce

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just popping onto to say Happy New Year to you!!! Looks like you have lots of plans for 2011. so another busy year....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there! I think we've all had a slow start to the year craftwise. Good resolutions though - I'm with you on No.1 but I pick all the skin round my nails so my fingers are usually sore. Also No.3 - how do we get into these spending habits?!?!? And No.5 but it's finishing some journals I've been making and need to put some pics on my blog.
    Looking forward to seeing some pictures when you get your bead and stuffy toy made!!
    Take care
    Hugs
    Caz

    ReplyDelete